Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Update

A lot has gone on in sports since I last posted. So I think that its best for me to just give a brief synopsis of my opinion on some of the more relevant stories, at least those relevant to me:

• Rest in Peace Steve McNair, Arturo Gatti and Vernon Forest. All of these situations are very sad and tragic in their own right. All of these men were known for there courage, playing/fighting through injuries, and leaving it all on the field. I think its best we try to remember them for those attributes.
• Happy Trails to Tyson Chandler. I blogged a while back about the Chandler-Wilcox trade that was never finalized due to a failed physical. Chandler returned from injury after that non-trade to have his best week of the season, only to return to the bench with that same nagging toe injury. So this time around I’m glad that the Hornets were able to execute the trade and get more of a comparable player with less mileage than Chanlder. If Okafor can hold his own defensively against Western Conference Centers, this should be a good trade for the home team.
• I’m on the fence about the acquisition of Ike Diougu, but there is very little risk with this signing and there is an opportunity for a decent sized reward. However, the acquisition of Diogu doesn’t make it any easier knowing that Brandon Bass should be our back up Power Forward.
• David Ortiz on roids?!?!?! And the Red Sox clubhouse investigated for an in house supplier?!?! I believe I predicted this a few months back when the Manny story broke. Still waiting on Bill Simmons to write something now that his worst nightmares have been all but confirmed.
• Starbury: Whats really good dude? Tears, vaseline, car accidents, twitter, and ustream are never a good combination. We are getting a first hand view of a career coming to a train wreck of an end. I feel like I’m watching Iron Mike Tyson all over again. All we need now is “fade into bolivian” speech.
• Along these same lines, I think I’m due for a blog on my views on the effect that twitter and other online social mediums are having on the sports landscape and the dissemination of information. Look for that in the weeks ahead.
• Am I the only person feeling like all is right with the world now that football season looms. Fantasy Football, games on Thursday through Sunday, its like 6 months of Christmas. The gift that keeps on giving.
• Next blog will cover the latest from the Saints training camp with news and notes from around the rest of the league.

1 comment:

Adam Lair said...

"Fade into bolivian." Classic. Rob, you should let people do guest posts on here. I could write one about how I'm going to come from the cellar to dominate y'all in fantasy this year. Think about it.